Friday, December 4, 2015

HOPE: Believing in God's Plan

Read: Philippians 4:4-7
 
By Amy Sullivan

Five years ago, my loving father passed away unexpectedly from a massive heart attack. This tragic event marked the beginning of an extremely difficult period of time. My family and I experienced job insecurity, debt, addiction issues, depression, anxiety and in all honesty, like many marriages, loneliness and confusion.

I knew bad things happened to good people – I just hadn’t experienced it. Prior to my father's death, moments of grief, fear, or anger tended to be fleeting; I was able to agree with those who would say, "God doesn’t give you more than you can handle." My new reality was different. It felt unmanageable. I had lost hope. Or, was it faith?

I have always believed in God and enjoyed praying. My prayers were usually prayers of gratitude and thanks, or prayers of assistance for a friend in need. Now my prayers became cries to God for help and understanding. I questioned God. Where was God? Why was my life in such chaos?

As I lamented on this with a close friend, she stated, "You love well." She went on to say that she was in awe of my ability to show love and compassion. She praised my ability to hope.

Hope is the desire for something good and the BELIEF that it is attainable. Biblical hope is even stronger -- it is a faith and belief that God has a plan.

I hope for a stronger marriage built on love, trust, and forgiveness. I hope for a stronger relationship with God based on faith. I hope to have understanding and accept God’s plan for me. I hope to eventually return to a place of peace in my mind and in my heart. I know that through Christ, all things are possible.

So, I lean on these words from Philippians: "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious in anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Sign up now to receive Covenant's Daily Advent Devotional via email.

No comments:

Post a Comment