Monday, December 21, 2015

LOVE: Do Not Be Afraid

Read: Luke 2:8-10

By Elizabeth Ignasher

The angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favour with God." - Luke 1:30
Recently a friend said she was trying to learn to love without fear. And I thought YES – I want to learn that too.

But love is scary. People we love sometimes let us down, get sick, leave, betray us, suffer, and die. Every loving relationship holds its share of disappointments and pain. Many break our hearts. Who wouldn’t be afraid?

Yet God demonstrated the most wholehearted love ever known by sending God’s own beloved son to earth as a vulnerable baby FOR US. Surely God knew what we would do to that precious child. And God so loved the world that God sent him anyway.

In Luke’s story of this great love, the first reaction of almost everyone, upon hearing about it, is FEAR. The angels have to keep repeating: “Do not be afraid.”

What was it about seeing the “glory of the Lord” that terrified them? Perhaps they somehow understood this was a two-way street. God’s great love invites our wholehearted love in return, and we all know what that leads to…

Fear says: I don’t deserve this much love. I am alone. I am not enough. I can’t love this much. I will make a fool of myself. My heart will break.

And Love answers: I am giving you my very own son because I love you. I am with you in this tiny baby, who is the most powerful force in all of heaven and earth. Even after he dies he will live and remain with you. Love like this baby. Babies have no regard for the world’s opinion. Let your heart break – it’s worth it. You will find treasures inside when it breaks open.

No one wants to feel fear, and that keeps many of us from loving with our whole hearts. But love stares fear down and decides to risk it.

No comments:

Post a Comment