Tuesday, December 8, 2015

PEACE: Little Light

By Carson Brisson

"Arise, shine; for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord has risen upon you."  Isaiah 60:1 (NRSV)

It was Wednesday, Sept. 12, 2001. Ground Zero in New York was not yet quite a day old.

My wife, Lou Ann, and I were walking before dawn on lovely paths around quiet fields near our home. A warm, late-summer breeze was blowing. We love walking when there is a breeze.

On this morning, we were mostly silent. But after some time, I mentioned a colleague who had a friend who had been working at the World Trade Center the day before. My colleague's friend had escaped with minor injuries but great sadness.

As we neared a turn, I remarked that the course I called "Baby Bible" was convening for its first fall session later in the day. Lou Ann replied that she had been thinking about that as well. I noted that because there were no prerequisites for the course there were students on the roster who were just beginning their seminary education. I further noted that each time I taught the course I began its first section with a lecture and discussion on the theme of “light” based on Genesis 1, John 1, and selected passages from Isaiah, but that in view of the unfolding shock and sorrow of the previous day I now hardly knew what to do.

Out of the darkness, with a hint of the new day just over her steady shoulders, Lou Ann replied, gently and without hesitation, with words I can still recall nearly to the syllable: "Carson. Give them and yourself a prayerful moment. After that, ask them if they know 'This Little Light of Mine.' They will know it. Sing it together. Sing all verses. Then, go right ahead with the class. What was true of the light is still true of the light."

Beloved, the nations rage. The nations are not yet gathered on God’s holy mountain, whereupon all war, all predation, all privilege, all division, and all parting shall forever cease. But the light, which will end every darkness in all lands and in our hearts and in the hearts of friend and foe alike, is shining. It shines in and from a manger, and it shines to the end of the age.

Oh come, oh please come Emmanuel.

Sign up now to receive Covenant's Daily Advent Devotional via email.

No comments:

Post a Comment